The villa, already composed in the sixteenth century with an Italian garden, was purchased by the Marquises Cusani in the middle of the seventeenth century as a holiday house. Enlarged in 1776 according to Giuseppe Piermarini project, the residence was home in the late eighteenth century of the Habsburgs, who were settled in nearby Monza and of the Bourbons from Naples.
In 1806, Ferdinando Cusani starts to transform the villa and the garden, relying on the work of Giuseppe Piermarini and Antonio Villoresi. The garden soon becomes one of the biggest landscape parks of Lombardy and one of the fisrts ones in the English style, how documented by Ercole Silva's treatise Dell'Arte dei Giardini Inglesi.
Two greenhouses were built to house the citrus trees during the winter, and a chestnut forest around the parterre in front of the villa, crossed by three prospective and radiating avenues, some groves and a maze. Of great landscape value was the artificial lake served by a canal, complete with a dock, a central small island and a grotto with a hut painted in fresco.
In 1817, the property passes to Giovan Battista Traversi who gives Pelagio Palagi the task to accomplish a neo-Gothic tower in the gardens, now privately owned, and other works on the villa and garden.
The garden of Villa Cusani Traversi is been resized but, although missed the avenues trident, the maze of hornbeam and the lake, the place still retains the charm of the romantic English accommodation, offering the opportunity to walk along the paths through groves of more than 700 different tree species. The broad perspective crosses the dense vegetation and, as the impressive tower of Palagi and the Traversi memorial designed by Luca Beltrami can be glimpsed, the fountain with the statue of Neptune can be reached, in the center of the parterre, with the house's monumental facade in the background.